Thursday, January 16, 2020

Buy at Barnes & Noble or From Your Local Store? Why Not Both?!

A few days ago, I happened upon a post on a local X-Wing group's Facebook page about an upcoming wave of component releases. According to the responses, though the wave of items was scheduled to be released to local board game retailers in late January, several people commented that Barnes and Noble was already selling those items in their stores. This sparked an oddly contentious debate about buying it “early” at Barnes & Noble (a major retailer) versus waiting the few extra weeks to buy the items at one’s Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS, as some have coined it). Some people mentioned that, combined with a Member discount and a coupon, buying the items at Barnes & Noble was more economically sensible, which triggered consternation from others who decried them for not being loyal to the FLGS. Knowing how such posts can result in interminable bickering, I decided to refrain from replying. Instead, I decided to write a post.

Here’s my stance: I really like Barnes & Noble because it’s the ONLY major book retailer in the United States that provides a space to sit and read books and periodicals before deciding to purchase them. I also like my FLGSes and understand the need to support these mom-and-pop businesses. Whenever I get a chance, I patronize both stores in my area to do my part to ensure that they stay open for business. Without Barnes & Noble, my local shopping center would become tragically dull; likewise, without my FLGS (at least the one close to my workplace), I wouldn’t be able to browse current game releases, buy card sleeves, and even make that occasional impulse purchase. Both carry board games and X-Wing, and I would like for both to continue to do so.

I don’t see Barnes & Noble and the FLGS as competitors as much as I see a kind of synergy between the two. Barnes & Noble has brought some needed mainstream exposure to connoisseur games by placing them prominently in the middle of their stores; this helps FLGSes because these games whet the appetites of casuals until they become interested in the more involved games that FLGSes have. Likewise, FLGSes exposure new enthusiasts to those exotic games, which in turn leads them back to Barnes & Noble to look for the latest (or even “early”) releases. This is a mutual victory -- a “win-win,” as people often posit annoyingly.

In these ways, I encourage people to support BOTH! I say that it’s excellent that people save money by buying X-Wing products early at Barnes & Noble because the more people that buy from a major retailer, the more that those items get exposure across the United States, especially among casual gamers. I also say that it’s excellent that people want to support their FLGS; we need those businesses to stay open because it would be un-American for free-enterprise shops to close under the might of larger stores. If we support both, everyone in our communities wins.

Here is how I support both stores, specifically related to X-Wing: I’ll pre-order a ship through my FLGS, which applies a 20% discount to pre-orders. Then, I’ll go to Barnes & Noble and buy the same ship early with my B&N Member discount, which is 10%. Since I usually buy two of any ship, I end up supporting both stores, being able to try out one ship early, and then going to my FLGS to get the second ship AND some card sleeves. Besides, I sometimes play at the local X-Wing tournaments, so the FLGS gets my money there, as well. It’s not difficult to support both stores; in fact, it is crucial that we do.

Lastly, I want to comment on the people who lambasted X-Wing fans who go to Barnes & Noble to make their early purchases of X-Wing stuff: they need to calm down on this issue. Yes, I’m passionate about the local game store and supporting small business, but I am also passionate about supporting the one remaining major bookseller where my wife and I generally agree to spend our free time. To the commenters, I recommend putting that fury and consternation into issues that matter, like eliminating racism and sexism in the United States, or concentrating on using board games to bring people together, not attack others for their shopping choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment